Sunday, September 23, 2007

First Day of Fall

Happy first day of Fall.
I took yesterday off from the volunteer overtime project. I wasn't feeling all that great when I woke up, so I decided that I needed two days off in a row. It was nice to get the house in order. I had lunch with my dad. I got a new hair cut that is darn cute. I was inspired by Caitlin and Danny to have a more modern wash & go type of style. Dustin and Tate had been encouraging me to grow it long. But, it was driving me crazy, so now I'm sporting a new chin-length razored do. I was considering coloring it again. But my hair stylist insisted that my natural silver was pretty and that it simply needed a few things for extra Oomph. So, maybe I'll have him even out the color and add some dramatic streak or something.
I was thumbing through my recipe books and tumbled upon The Complete Book of Breads. I think my brother got this for my birthday some 25 years ago. I used to make Sunset White Bread for my kids when they were little. So, I thought I'd make it again. It didn't rise well and was a flop. I figured I could use it for croutons or something. We made Hot Browns for dinner last night using the bread. It is a Kentucky favorite open-faced sandwich made with toast, roast turkey, cheese sauce, and bacon. It was simply awful. I couldn't even eat mine. It looked like a big brown pile on the plate. Yuck.
In the past, when Fall arrived, I used to spend most of my knitting time in a hurried frenzy making gifts for Christmas. After I figured out that this took a considerable amount of joy out of knitting, I decided to stop. There was no need to make a gift for every person. Nobody else makes each gift. Now, I make things throughout the year. This year, I'm not sure that I will even cast on for another gift between now and Christmas. Better to get the things I have started completed.
I finished reading our book club selection, "Wait Till Next Year." I enjoyed the parts about history very much. However, the first part of the book about her early childhood told through rose coloured glasses was a bit boring. And, I found myself skimming over the play by plays of particular baseball games.

I spoke to Dustin yesterday. His cat, Willa, died Thursday night. He seemed to be taking it fairly well. It's so hard when you help a four-legged friend die.

No comments: