Sunday, March 23, 2008

Unfinished Funk

I was surfing the other day when I hopped over to see what Kim was up to and she had a post about being in an in between project funk. I could totally relate. Here I have all of these long-term projects on the needles that seem to be taking for-freaking-ever. That compiled with the endless cloudy days has left me in a funk. Those who know me well, know that if I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say anything at all. So, that's why there's been a long silence.

I do have some good news. I got my passport on Friday. Here they said it would be a couple of months but it turned out to be just a couple of weeks. I also got the time off I requested around my sabbatical approved. So, it's written in stone: I have from May 17 to July 7 off with pay. The countdown begins: 8 weeks to go.

Caitlin sent an email letting me know that she blew out her fuzzy feet slippers. She's got them held together with duct tape. And Danny is so fearful that hers will blow that she is rationing wearing them. So, I quickly made some felted moccasins for her. The last time I made them slippers, I mailed Danny's first and then followed up with Caitlin's. I learned that those two are competitive, so everything has to be equal. So, I'm in the midst of making a pair for Danny to mail off. Silly lesbians.

I also found that Martha Stewart published a felt slipper pattern a while back. So, I've used her pattern to make slippers from recycled felted sweaters from the thrift store rather than trying to make my own pattern. They are fast and fun to make. I set up my sewing machine in my office. It was nice to hear the whir of the machine. Years ago, I used to sew my kids clothes and a bunch of mine. I forgot how much I like to hear the sound of the sewing machine run.

I also signed up for two wet felting classes in April with Cottage Fiber. That should be a total blast.

I had an appointment this week and grabbed the long languishing landscape socks to knit while waiting in the office. After knitting a bit using this fabulous sock yarn, I realized that I hate knitting with the Noro Kureyon sock yarn. It has no give. It twists up on itself making knot after knot. It flies off your fingers as you knit. Frustrating. However, I spent an arm and a leg on this yarn, so I'll be damned if I don't finish these socks.


The diswarsher is installed and Sam and I are back full force in the kitchen. We were supposed to have some friends over for dinner last night. But, they canceled because the wife and the daughter were both sick. I had gone to a LYS and bought some "beginner" style knitting needles. I had big plans to teach the little girl how to knit. Maybe next time. We had planned on making smoked meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, sauteed mushrooms and peas with fresh thyme and garlic. We had all the food, so we made the meal for ourselves anyway. Since I spent the majority of Friday cleaning the house, it's all done. Those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers with Febreze are fabulous.

I think I'll spend today working on the Lady Eleanor Wrap. It's a welcome change to be knitting on larger needles after jacking around with the damn Noro socks.

1 comment:

Kim said...

It's good to know others get into similar funks. Funk is fine as long as it's not a smelly funk. I feel the same way about the Noro sock yarn. It drives me nuts the way it tangles up. The socks I started with my Noro are quickly becoming a UFO.