Friday, August 24, 2007

And Pfft, it was gone.

Just like Verbal Kint says in"The Usual Suspects." The tree debris was removed and it looks as if the microburst never happened. Except half of the tree is gone. Sadly, the entire tree will have to come down soon.

When we moved in this house some 23 years ago, my neighbor, at the time, would wait until the most of the bright orange leaves had fallen and rake them in a huge pile leaving it for my kids to jump in. Then she'd go out and rake it up again and again until they tired of jumping in the leaves. I also remember looking at that tree during my pregnancies. I'd sit on the couch and stare at the various stages of the tree while wondering about the baby inside of me.

Caitlin never made it in last night. All flights were canceled out of O'Hare Airport due to weather. She had opted not to renew her cell phone contract two days prior to her trip because her reception was crappy. (Her house is to close to the ocean. Wahh. ) So, there she was stuck in O'Hare Airport without a cell phone and about $5 dollars on her. And I guess it was near to impossible to get a hotel room since all flights were canceled. I'm sure she'll be wiped out when she makes it in today.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the one who is getting housebroken. I put Nell to bed around 10 p.m. last night. I woke up a little before 5 and tried to be as quiet as possible not to wake her up. It was raining pretty hard. I was NOT looking forward to standing in the pouring rain waiting for her to piddle and poo. Sometimes, it takes a few attempts to get the latter to happen. She'll run to the door, so I have to take her farther and farther out in the yard until there is success. When she woke up at around 5:15 the rain had calmed down. So, it wasn't all that bad. But, here I am, wide awake.

I made the Multi Grain Bread again yesterday. We had BLTs made with the fresh bread for dinner. I also made the soaker and biga for the Struan, which I will bake today. I've been enjoying the new bread book. Peter says to try a recipe three times before you give up on it. My first attempt with my own sourdough was a flop. It just wouldn't rise. So, I guess I'll take his advice and try again sometime.

Most of the heavy cleaning is done, so now I'll have time for fun stuff. I started a Secret Project, which I want to compete before our knitting club meeting in September. It's a fun one using an unusual technique that I can't wait to share.

No comments: