Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Victoria, Here I come

I purchased my tickets for Victoria, British Columbia last night. I fly into Vancouver and take a long ferry to Victoria. It was substantially less expensive than I thought it would be. In fact, I would most likely be able to afford to go visit the girls each summer at that price.

Next, I have to get a passport, which is required. And then I need to take some time to work on my laptop so that it has everything I need. I hope to post daily during that time so that you can see how lovely Canada is.

Right now, I can’t bear to work on the laptop because my work computer shit the bed and I’ve had to spend the last few days dealing with that. UGH.

I had a particularly glorious day on Monday. I spent the morning tidying up and then took off for the thrift stores. I was in search of 100% wool sweaters. Some to felt for needle felting. And some to harvest for recycled yarn. I couldn’t believe how cheap it was. I bought 12 sweaters for the price one skein of sock yarn.

Two of the sweaters are handmade. No tags. And they are made quite well. One sweater is a blue mohair cardigan. I thought it would be great to use this yarn for a pair of fuzzy feet slippers for me. I wasn’t sure if it was a acrylic blend though. As I went to rip it apart, I saw what a nice job this woman did making this sweater and I didn’t have the heart to go through with it. So, now I’m wearing this when I have to go outside briefly. Like to the garage etc. and I don’t want to put a coat on. This sucker is warm! It will replace an old torn up cardigan of Sam’s I’ve been wearing for the last several years.

I also was in search of those awful thin acrylic scarves that your mother used to wear. People also use them to learn to juggle. Thrift shops used to be stuffed to the gills with them. But, alas. No scarves. I plan on finding some and adding snippets to my yarn as I spin for some bling. I am inspired by Ozark yarns. If you can find any, let me know.

After thrifting, I treated myself to lunch at an Indian restaurant. Delightful. Oh. I also ended up at a LYS and bought some Noro Kureon sock yarn. It is quite twisty. It was a major pain in the ass to wind into a cake.

I was thinking that I’d go to the KC Fiber Guild meeting tonight to hang out with the spinners. But, it is just too damn cold. I had to drive to the office to swap out computers today and I about froze my fingers off carrying that stoopid computer around in the cold. I know where the meeting is held, but the thought of carrying my wheel in the dark in an unfamiliar place in the freezing cold sounds unappetizing to me. I’ll wait until the weather isn’t so gross.

Next, I will be in search of laminate flooring for the family room. One of my girlfriends at work suggested going to Sam’s or Costco. BINGO. It’s much cheaper there. Thank you M8K. I’ll be checking that out tomorrow.

So, I think I WILL be able to afford the trip, the new floor and a CSA membership after all. I’m excited about the CSA membership. I hope to post a bunch about the surprises I get each week in my bag.

And what have we been cooking? I made a fabulous Chicken and Cashew stir-fry on Monday night. Last night it was crab salad with Asian dressing. Tonight? We are ordering a pizza. I am sick to death of doing dishes by hand.

No comments: