Sunday, May 27, 2007

Knitting completed!

I finished the second sleeve of the Chanel-ish Cardigan Jacket for Tate. I was nervous that I wouldn’t have enough of the grey yarn. Here is how much yarn I have left:
The jacket gets a crochet edge trim. So, I’m not sure if I will have enough of the grey for that. But, I was relieved that all of the same dye lot has been used for the entire sweater. I’ll probably order some more, just to be certain.

The second spaz I had was when I soaked the body of the sweater in the sink with some Top of the Lamb shampoo. When I rung the sweater out in a clean towel and pulled the sweater out, it seemed HUGE. Heart racing, I ran downstairs and threw it in the dryer with a clean towel on Hot. After a few minutes of feeling heartsick, I pulled it from the dryer and laid it on the spare bed to survey the damage. The width was spot on. It just seemed gigantic when I first looked at it.

So, I gathered my stuff to block the body of the sweater. The cats were sleeping, as usual. Because I didn’t want any “assistance” I closed the door while I grabbed my tools. I had to get one more thing and absent-mindedly left the door open for just a few seconds. I returned to Boy picking the pins off of the magnetic pin holder and tossing them on the floor. Thanks for the help, Boy.
So, I got the body of the sweater blocked. I don’t have room for the sleeves, so after the body dries I’ll block the sleeves. These are set-in sleeves. A first for me. So, I’ve been reading about setting in sleeves in Sally Melville’s “The Purl Stitch” and general finishing techniques in Janet Szabo’s “The ‘I Hate to Finish Sweaters' Guide to Finishing Sweaters.” I also got the two DVDs “Knitting Essentials” by Lucy Neatby for Christmas a couple of years ago.

I’m looking forward to learning to do a better job of finishing. One of my goals is to be terrific at finishing. This sweater will be a big challenge for me.

I had the pleasure of meeting Sally Melville last month. She taught a class at The Yarn Barn. She was wonderful. So patient. She brought in the huge trunk of all the sweaters in her “The Knitting Experience” series. I also met Lucy Neatby a few summers ago. The knitting guild in our area had her in for a weekend of classes. She was very charming and was also a good teacher. I love the lilt of her accent.

Our weekly family dinner has been scheduled for Monday night, so more people can attend. So, I have a brisket in the oven for dinner tonight. I’ll serve mashed cauliflower and some other vegetable with it. Maybe I’ll make my world famous Cole Slaw.

No comments: