Sunday, August 12, 2007

Playing with String Some More



My dang computer was down yesterday.

We had a busy morning with Sam's folks. In the afternoon, while Sam took a nap, it was time to play with string in a different way.
I had made all the pieces for a v-neck sweater some time ago. But, the size was all wrong and the colors turned out wonky. I used this fabulous hand dyed yarn I bought from Bonkers Fibers. It's the picture of yarn I have at the top of my blog. At the time, I didn't realize that you need to alternate every row of knitting since hand dyed yarns never really match. So the back, front and one sleeve were all one dye lot and then the last sleeve was a different more brilliant version of the colourway. So, to the frog pond it went.

First, I ripped out the knitting and wound the yarn around an old packing box. You have to tie the loop of yarn in a couple of places to hold it together. It's best to use a contrasting yarn. I used a bright red mercerized cotton yarn.












Then, a soak in the sink with Eucolan. The yarn will look like Ramen Noodles and you want to relax the yarn so it can be knitted again.



Then, squeeze most of the water out, place on a towel and roll up to get more water out and hang to dry. After the yarn is dry I will wind it up for a different use. This is the second time I've ripped this yarn out. I just haven't found the project that does this yarn justice. I'm thinking of doing the Cobblestone Pullover by Jared Flood in the current Interweave Knits.





After frogging the entire sweater, I looked in my closet and found my Haiku sweater that I made several years ago using Peace Fleece. I never really wear this one either. So, I started frogging this one too. This one was more difficult to frog because I had actually put the sweater together. Hopefully, I'll salvage enough yarn to make a vest or something. I love Peace Fleece yarn. It's just too dang hot to wear indoors.

After an afternoon of ripping, I was pretty hungry. Caitlin had mentioned that she prepares her own juice concoctions when she gets hungry in the afternoon. I don't have a juicer, so I made this green smoothie. It was delicious. I'm definitely having this again.












I've reached the stall wall an the Nikko wrap. I've purchased the beads and the beading needles. But, I cannot for the life of me get the damn needle threaded. The eye of the needle is so small I cannot see it! I even bought a damn needle threader and it got stuck and broke off in the needle. I guess I'll have to call the bead shop and ask that awful woman what I'm supposed to do. It's frustrating.

No comments: