Monday, September 10, 2007

Pretty good, for a Monday


The XPen training went much better today. Maybe everything seemed to go better since I slept like a Rock last night.

The pets have been having little moments where they all get along.

Socks made on two circs definitely does move a ton faster.
I'm done with the cuff and started on the heel flap. And I didn't have much time to knit this weekend, what with the puppy. That's darn good for 6 days. I'm using Addi Turbos, which are very different from bamboo double points. That's what I've been using for years. The Addi's are slick. The bamboo hugs the yarn. My first attempt at socks on two needles, I dropped a bunch on my first round and had to start over. But, it seems to be going well. I'm not too whippy on the resting needle. It seems to get in the way. After this pair, I'll try the Magic Loop. When I attended my class with Sally Melville, most of my classmates were knitting socks using this method. Although, I'm not quite sure what you do when knitting the flap. I guess I'll find out.

I started knitting when I was probably about 12. And knitted (if you can call it that) until I was around 15. I picked up knitting again, after Dustin was born. My Xhusband's cousin was totally into knitting socks. Nancy said she liked knitting socks because it wasn't expensive, there was a lot of knitting, and you could really use what you made. Keeping in mind that this was 25 years ago, there was very little yarn to choose from and the same goes for needles, etc. The yarn was much bulkier and there were only metal needles. I remember when I took my first class and brought my socks in. The teacher was wistful when I showed her my socks. She told a story of how she made custom Argyle socks using the Fraternity colors for her college boyfriends (including their initials) until she figured out that they were simply dating her for the socks.

And so it was my second return to knitting where I learned to love making socks. Lots has changed. I was a tried and true double-pointer until a few days ago. And there is a ton of beautiful sock yarn out there. The yarn is much thinner, so you can wear them with shoes. And there is a nylon content to help them wear well. There are even clear plastic boots specifically made to show off your hand made socks. But, they sound hot and unhealthy for my tootsies.

Sam made blue cheese burgers for dinner tonight. Excellent. Go, Sam.

No comments: